If you answer “YES” to any of these questions you could be at increased risk of fracture:
• Is there a family history of hip fracture?
• Have you broken a bone after minimal impact?
• Have you lost more than 5cm since middle age?
• Have you developed a rounded back or ‘stoop’?
• Do you have unexplained back pain?
• Is your current weight less than it was at 25?
• Do you do little or no exercise?
• Do you have a high alcohol intake?
• Are you a smoker?
• For women, have you been through menopause before 45?
• For women, have you stopped menstruating for 12 months or more?
• For men, have you suffered from low libido or impotence?
• Do you take any of these medications?
—— Corticosteroids (more than 7.5mg per day for over 6 months)
—— Anti-convulsive treatment for epilepsy
—— Gonadal hormone suppression
—— Cancer treatment
—— Sleeping tablets (current use)
• Do you have any of these medical conditions?
—— Hyperthyroidism (an overactive thyroid gland)
—— Chronic lung disease
—— Frequent diarrhoea caused by Crohn’s, coeliac or inflammatory bowel disease
—— Chronic hepatic or renal disease
—— Vitamin D deficiency
—— Cushing’s disease
—— Multiple sclerosis
—— Rheumatoid arthritis